I have never had much trouble with lights on the Christmas tree. However, today, half of my lights didn't work. I'm thinking it's because the movers just moved the Christmas boxes without adding any extra padding and the lights probably got banged around a lot. But I managed fine and found just enough light strands to work.
We spent the evening decorating the tree. I gave up some of my perfectionism and let the kids help as much as they wanted. Unfortunately, our tree sits on the wood floor and we lost no fewer than 5 ornaments in a very small space of time. Fortunately, only one of those broken ornaments had any sentimental value. Jack cried when he broke the first one. He cried when he broke the second one. Then Sam broke one and Greg knocked one off the tree. When Jack broke his third one he just shook his head and said, "We lose more ornaments that way."
It took a while to get the star straight on top of the tree, but we finally declared it done and turned off the lights and enjoyed the loveliness of our tree. That was three hours ago. Just now I looked over at the tree and only the bottom strand of lights is working. Just one strand! If I can't figure it out, we're going to have to undo the WHOLE tree and start over. Grr. Argh! I hope it doesn't come to that. I really don't want to lose any more ornaments.